Friday 13 January 2012

Relating to the people we're reading about

One of the reasons that I like archaeology and anthropology is because it gives us a chance to learn more about others from the past and apply these learnings to our own lives. Usually, it is quite easy to draw comparisons between what we study and ourselves, but other times it seems almost impossible.
Reading "Funeral of a Rus' " this week really got me thinking about this. I feel like it is so hard to relate to the people and actions described in the reading. Why on earth would they kill horses, a rooster, hens and slave girl in the most gruesome fashion? Assuming that the account given by Ibn Fadland is true and accurate, I feel like these people are a different species from myself and the people I know today.
I know that it can be unfair to judge other people's actions if you aren't in the same frame of mind as they are. It is impossible to know the exact motives and reasonings of a culture unless you have lived in the culture yourself.
Still, I can't help but attempt to draw comparisons between myself and what I'm learning. I guess with a perspective like mine, I have to accept that I'll be surprised and challenged in my effort to see how we're all connected.

No comments:

Post a Comment