Friday 27 January 2012

The Moai of Easter Island

When I was quite young, before learning anything about archaeology and anthropology, large monuments created by ancient people baffled me. How could these amazing things be created by people who are less advanced than we are now? How did they carve stone and build mounds without modern tools?


I have since learned that (obviously) ancient people were not "dumb", and that I should never doubt the power of time and powerful leaders to get stuff done. Case in point: the Moai of Easter Island. As I learned from PBS, 887 of these stone monuments were made, with the largest statue standing at nearly 72 feet tall. I would love to be able to see these Moai in person to be able to grasp how enormous these things are. I think that when you have the opportunity to see a massive monument, things are put into perspective. The thought of the sheer size and the time investment that must have been put into the Moai makes me feel humbled, and reminds me that there is so much more to existence than our modern tools and buildings.





3 comments:

  1. I have always loved the statues of Easter Island! Did you know that these heads have bodies?!? They dug under the heads and unearthed bodies. There are also Petroglyphs on the bodies preserved in the soil. I agree not so dumb!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to admit, when I saw you posted an entry about this, I got a bit excited. I have had a small obsession with the Moai for a very long time (to the point where I actually have a silicon ice cube tray that forms them!)

    I actually recently came across an article that mentioned the fact that they also had bodies! If my focus wasn't in a completely different part of the world, I would study Easter Island, hands down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want an Moai-shaped ice cube in my next drink for sure! That is so awesome. Yes it is so cool that they have bodies. All-in-all, they are just massive!

    ReplyDelete